Thank you for your interest in Practicing Love: a Daylong Mindfulness Retreat with Meditation Teachers Anh-Huong and Thu Nguyen on Saturday, April 13th, 2013.
Pre-registration for the retreat has now closed. While it’s no longer possible to guarantee a spot, the retreat is not yet completely full, and there’s space for a number of folks arriving promptly at 8:45am on Saturday to register and participate fully in the day.
If you are interested in coming, please read through the information below for important specifics about what to bring, arrival time, location and parking.
(If you would like to receive notices about future Philadelphia area Days of Mindfulness and similar events in the tradition of Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh, click here to sign up for our low traffic email list (roughly 12 emails per year).)
- your own vegetarian lunch (we will enjoy the practice of mindful eating together, and there will be no break to go buy lunch.)
- a meditation cushion or seat if you would like to use one (some chairs will also be available).
- a comfortable blanket or mat for Deep Relaxation (the Bodek Lounge has a hardwood floor; please bring enough padding for your comfort. You may also like to bring a blanket to cover you when you rest.)
- clothing appropriate for walking outside.
- for convenience, you may like to bring your own water; there is also a water fountain nearby.
Saturday, November 10th, 2012 8:45am-4:30pm*
*This is a daylong retreat: please plan to participate for the full day. If this is not possible for you, please call us before Saturday to discuss (see the bottom of this page for contact phone numbers). Thank you!
Arrival & Check-in:
Please plan to arrive promptly at 8:45 to register and pick up materials. Please note that we can’t guarantee a spot without pre-registration–still, as of 12pm Thursday, the retreat is not yet completely full. There is space for some people arriving at 8:45am to take part in the day.
Retreat Location: Bodek Lounge, Houston Hall, University of Pennsylvania, 3417 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
The Bodek Lounge is located in Houston Hall, on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania, at 3417 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. Bodek Lounge is on the far West side of Houston Hall’s first floor. Map It
Transportation & Parking
- By bus: the 40 bus stops at 34th and Spruce, less than one block from Huston Hall. The 42 and 21 busses both stop at 34th and Walnut, about three blocks away.
- By Train: from 30th Street Station, the 11, 13, 34 and 36 trolleys all stop at 37th and Spruce, about 3 blocks’ walk from Huston Hall. For rail, trolley & bus schedules: http://www.septa.org/
- Parking: the UPenn Parking Garage #7 at South Street & Convention Avenue is roughly three blocks away and $10 for all-day parking. A little over half a mile from Houston Hall is the Science Center Parking Garage at 37th & Market, which is $8 for the day.
There is no set fee for the day, and no one will be turned away because of cost. Financial support as appropriate to your circumstances is greatly appreciated to help cover room rental, travel, supplies, and especially to support the teachers, who work full-time without salary sharing their practice of mindfulness. As a guide, a donation of $10-$100 based on what’s possible for you is suggested. Additional support for the teachers is gratefully welcomed. All donations are tax deductible; receipts will be available. Please bring any donations with you to the retreat. Checks may be made payable to MPCF (Mindfulness Practice Center of Fairfax).
Still have Questions?
Please contact: Sara Becker at (215) 852-4375.